We’re all guilty of it. Guilty of not being grateful for the small things in life. The small things that are in actual fact, the big things- Because without the small things, the big things would not be possible. So here are 22 of the things we are blessed to have but often take for granted…
1. WARMTH FROM THE SUN– Who doesn’t love the feeling of sun on their skin? Just a few minutes spent in the sun can boost our mood and leave us feeling great.
2. RAIN– Yep, you heard me, look around you! All the green stuff you see? That’s all down to the rain.
3. HEARING BIRDS– In a recent survey conducted by the National History Museum, 73% of people reported hearing louder bird song during the COVID-19 lockdown in the UK. Many said it comforted and calmed them at a time of crisis.
4. INSPIRATION– Unique to every one of us, it shifts a person from feeling meh to feeling yeah, and changes the way we recognise our own capabilities. So whatever it may be that gives you inspiration, be thankful for it.
5. CREATIVITY– Creative activities help us acknowledge and celebrate our own uniqueness and diversity. Creativity encourages self-expression, a way to create something from personal feelings and experiences.
6. HEALTH– The most important of all, we shouldn’t ever take our good health for granted-after all without our health, we have nothing. Nil, zero, nada!
7. FREEDOM– Second to our health, having freedom means we have the opportunity to speak, act and pursue happiness without unnecessary restrictions. Life would be misery without the freedom of choice, expression, and how we want to live. We’ve sampled life without freedom during lockdown & its for sure highlighted its importance.
8. CHOICE– Or life’s golden ticket as they say, it’s your choice because it’s your life. Cereal or toast for breakfast? Him or her? Uni or apprenticeship? Do what makes you happy! In other words, you do you.
9. FEELING THE GROUND BENEATH YOUR FEET– Going barefoot and being able to feel the ground can be liberating and has a sensation that is light, simple and joyful.
10. MOVING YOUR BODY– Your body is a wonderful, beautiful creation and it must be celebrated! So jump, dance, walk, run-whatever it is you do, be grateful you can.
11. A VIEW– So you might not have the prettiest view from your window but it’s bringing the outdoors in by flooding the room with light. If you didn’t have that- you’d miss it.
12. YOUR EMOTIONS– Emotions play an essential role in how we think and behave. They can compel us to take action and influence the decisions we make about our lives- big or small. Without our emotions, we’d find it very hard to have relationships and do a lot of stuff that we do!
13. YOUR IMAGINATION– It’s all yours. Unique to you. The ability to imagine things permeates our entire existence. It influences everything we do, think about and create. You can go anywhere and everywhere with your imagination.
14. LAUGHTER– You’ve likely heard that laughter is the best medicine and it’s been proven! A quick-fix to feel better, laughter strengthens your immune system, boosts mood, diminishes pain, and protects you from the nasty effects of stress.
15. PROBLEMS– Because without problems we wouldn’t be able to learn or grow so it only makes sense not to take them for granted because you’ve probably learnt the most valuable lessons from figuring out your problems.
16. YOUR BEATING HEART– Put your hand on your chest. Feel and remember that with each beat, each throb you are a miracle, and the probability of you being born is approximately about one in 400 trillion. (Mel Robbins, TEDx San Francisco).
17. YOUR HANDS– Think of all the things your hands allow you to do during the day. Now think of not having them. Your day looks a hell of a lot different doesn’t it?
18. A SMILE– Ever had a stranger smile at you? It can make quite the difference to your day and it’s why I make sure to smile to strangers in return.
19. SLEEP– If you’ve ever suffered from a sleepless night (we’ve all been there) then you’ll only know too well how easy it is to take sleep for granted. Sleep is vital to function and is at the core of our wellbeing. So the next time you wake up after a good night’s kip- be thankful that you’re starting your day the best way you can.
20. TIME– Something we all have the same of and it’s incredibly precious because we can’t ever get our time back, so make the most of your time!
21. RESOURCEFULNESS– A resourceful person is one that is able to quickly adapt to new or different situations. Being resourceful is being creative and creativity has been a defining characteristic of humans since the beginning of time- so we all have it in us to be resourceful.
22. FRIENDS AND FAMILY– Never take your loved ones for granted because the truth is that there are many people in this world that don’t have that love. Chances are that without those people you wouldn’t be the person you are today. Be grateful for them, their love and support will mean more than money can ever buy.
Did I miss anything? What are you grateful for?